Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Few Random Thoughts

Well, I said that I would try to do better than past trips and blog more...man, that is so much easier said than done! We are working as hard as we can from 6 am until 2-3 pm. By the time 2 or 3 rolls around it is sweltering heat, we are covered head to toe in sweat, dirt, concrete, sand, all held together by multiple layers of reapplied sunscreen! We are dog tired, but energized by the progress that we have made. Tonight, after dinner, we went out to the street to watch the kids {and one of our team members} play soccer. It's amazing to see these kids run around, playing barefoot or maybe with just one shoe, kicking on a dirty, gravel roadway, but just happy and energetic. One of the best parts for me was that several of these kids, now 2 years older came over to say hello and they remembered me! They asked about my family and why it took me so long to return. THEY remembered ME. It floored me. One of the things we have been talking about this week is that they see us. They watch every move we make, what we say, what we do. They know we are there. And for the younger generation, they remember. We are here to serve them, we are here to love them. We are here because they matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment